My vacation reading

Sinful Folk - Nikki McClure, Ned Hayes The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King) (Volume 1) - L. M. Ironside Timebound - Rysa Walker London Falling - Paul Cornell

I decided to leave 'The 100 Year Old Man' and the rest of the candy bowl behind in Boston, and instead dived into some books I've recently added to my Kindle.

Sinful Folk is set in 14th century England and reminded me very much of Karen Maitland's Company of Liars. It's well written, but there were a few glaring errors and anachronisms which an editor should have picked up. The bird watcher in me was very surprised when one of the characters mentions a mockingbird. Really? An English peasant in the 1300s talking about a bird found only in North America?  And then someone is described as being a hooligan.  But other than that (and the occasional Americanism), the story bowls along nicely.

I loved The Sekhmet Bed, which was recommended by a fellow Bookliker. Ancient Egypt has always fascinated me, and this book just sucked me in and held my interest from start to finish. It is the first in a series, but can be read as a standalone. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough of Mutnofret. I thought she was one of the most interesting characters in the book and would have enjoyed reading more about her.

As I posted earlier, thanks must go to Liz Loves Books for bringing London Falling to my attention. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But then how could I not? It had all my favourite ingredients. Urban fantasy, sport, English history, and a good old police procedural. Again, even though it's the first in a series, it can be read as a single novel in its own right.

And finally, Timebound. This is the first book in a YA time travel trilogy, I thought this one was a lot of fun, and unlike many of its contemporaries, it doesn't end on a cliffhanger (bonus point 1).  The heroine, Kate, is very likable and also a believable teenager (bonus point 2). However, points could be lost later in the series if she starts behaving like an idiot over the inevitable love triangle.

Right, vacation is over; back to The 100 Year Old Man and the candy bowl.