30 Day Challenge: Day 31

Dark Matter - Michelle Paver The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters The Woman In Black (Vintage Classic) - Susan Hill The Girl On The Landing - Paul Torday
DAY 31 – A BOOK THAT SCARED THE SNOT OUT OF YOU

So the 30 Day Challenge has finished, but Debbie had the great idea of having one final day where we choose our favourite scary book for Halloween.

Funnily enough, the book that absolutely terrified me when I read it as a teenager, wasn't a traditional ghost story or horror story, it was The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham. The thought of something unknown lurking thousands of fathoms below the sea waiting to sink unwary ships scared the life out of me. (Reading it the night before I was due to get on a North Sea ferry probably didn't help.)

But back to ghost stories. Speaking as a complete wuss, when it comes to scary books, I’ve always preferred psychological subtlety over out-and-out gore.

If you fancy a good old-fashioned ghost story, then try these.  They are all very atmospheric, with spooky houses and things that go bump in the night.

Dark Matter – Michelle Paver
The Little Stranger – Sarah Waters
The Woman in Black - Susan Hill
The Girl on the Landing – Paul Torday

Or maybe something that is moving slightly more in the horror direction?

Heart Shaped Box – Joe Hill
The Shining - Stephen King
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
(OK, pretty much anything by Stephen King)

And you can't go wrong with these classic short stories from the Victorian/Edwardian era

The Monkey’s Paw – W W Jacobs