30 Day Challenge: Day 17

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude A Tale of Two Cities - Hablot Knight Browne, Charles Dickens, Peter Merchant The Go-Between - L.P. Hartley, Douglas Brooks-Davies Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë, John S. Whitley
DAY 17 FAVOURITE QUOTE FROM YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK

It was a dark and stormy night.....

I’m going to go a bit off topic with this one because my favourite book doesn’t have any instantly recognizable quotations. And I wanted to save them for Day 30 anyway.

So instead I’m just going to throw out a few of my favourite opening lines and closing lines.

These are all so well-known that you will know which books they come from even if you haven't read them.

Opening Lines

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. (Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice)

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina)

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. (George Orwell, 1984)

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair. (Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities)

It was a pleasure to burn. (Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451)

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. (F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby)

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.  (L. P. Hartley, The Go-Between)

Closing Lines

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known. (Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities)

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. (F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby)

Tomorrow, I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day. (Margaret Mitchell, Gone With The Wind)

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which. (George Orwell, Animal Farm)

But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can’t stand it. I been there before. (Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)

He was soon borne away by the waves, and lost in darkness and distance. (Mary Shelley, Frankenstein)

I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.(Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights)

and finally, it might not be quite the last line, but it’s definitely the best happy ending ever…

Reader, I married him. (Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre)