John Steinbeck Challenge

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck, Robert DeMott

For someone who went to school in England, I read an awful lot of American literature while I was there. No complaints though. I still enjoy reading Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Harper Lee and Arthur Miller.

But the writer who seemed to be a particular favourite of my teachers was John Steinbeck. I remember reading The Red Pony and The Pearl which were fairly quick reads, but I also recall studying Of Mice and Men.  I didn't read any of his other novels though and always meant to remedy that. But being a bit of a lazy moo, I never got round to it..

Many years later, just before I moved to the States I was browsing a discount bookstore and came across a package of ten Steinbeck novels for ten pounds. A bargain!  They have remained on my shelves untouched, but when I was listing them for my Booklikes shelf, I thought this is the perfect opportunity to set myself a reading challenge and read all ten of them.  And seeing as 2014 is the 75th anniversary of the publication of The Grapes of Wrath, it makes it even more appropriate.

So here they are.  My ten Steinbeck novels. I'm looking forward to re-reading some old favourites and hopefully discovering some new ones.