30 Day Challenge: Day 10

All Creatures Great and Small: The Classic Memoirs of a Yorkshire Country Vet - James Herriot Moonlight Mile: A Kenzie and Gennaro Novel - Dennis Lehane

DAY 10 - A BOOK THAT REMINDS YOU OF HOME

For this challenge I'm going to cheat and choose two books.  And I should warn you in advance that there will be a load of sentimental old waffle.

Six years ago I left England to come and live and work in Boston, and it didn't take me long to fall head over heels in love with the city, its people, its sports teams, and everything else. I adore living here, whether it's in the blink and you'll miss it springtime, or the breathtaking beauty of the Fall.  Heck, I love it even in the winter when I'm up at 5:00am shoveling yet more snow from my driveway.

So my first book is by someone who loves Boston even more than I do.  Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane is the last in his series about private detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. (If I have one complaint, it's that Patrick Kenzie isn't a hockey fan). To be honest, I could have chosen any of the books in this series because they're all full of landmarks and and familiar sights of the city that I have come to know, love and call home.

And when you read his books, you know that Dennis Lehane loves this city too - even if the Green Line does suck and the WFNX radio station has zero reception. As with the Chicago of Sara Paretsky's V I Warshawski books, the city is just as much a character as the people.

But I have left part of my heart back in England.  Specifically in the Yorkshire Dales, which is why I have chosen All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot.  The stories of a Scottish city vet working in the English countryside effortlessly transport me back to the most beautiful place on earth. I can picture the market-towns of Settle, Ingleton and Skipton. I can see the dry-stone walls, rolling hills, rivers and waterfalls.  And I can hear the flat vowels of some of the most honest, down to earth people you will ever meet.

(OK, I'll stop now before I either get homesick or this essay turns into a ten volume tourist information brochure).