30 Day Challenge - Day 4

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

DAY 4 - FAVOURITE BOOK OF YOUR FAVOURITE SERIES

The Eyre Affair is the first book in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. I re-read it regularly and it never fails to make me smile. How can I resist a mash-up of one of my favourite novels and my two favourite genres?

Thursday lives in an alternate England in 1985. She's a veteran of the Crimean War, a literary detective and she's pretty kick-ass.  She also has an adorably dim pet dodo called Pickwick.

In Thursday's world, the novel Jane Eyre ends with Jane marrying St John Rivers and going to India with him.  But when Thursday pursues an arch-villain into the original manuscript, she sets off a chain of events which changes the novel into one which is rather more familiar.  Come now, you didn't really think it was Bertha who set Thornfield Hall on fire did you?

Bad puns, literary jokes, and ridiculous names are everywhere. Jane and Mr Rochester aren't the only ones who get a happy ending. And the villain gets his comeuppance and is banished into The Raven

Incidentally, I very nearly chose chose the second book in the series for this part of the challenge purely because Lost in a Good Book has Miss Havisham as a secret agent.  Seriously, how cool is that?