Halloween Bingo 2017 - Classic Horror

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde - Oscar Wilde, Vyvyan Holland

Dorian Gray is the subject of a full-length portrait in oil by Basil Hallward, an artist who is impressed and infatuated by Dorian's beauty; he believes that Dorian's beauty is responsible for the new mode in his art as a painter. Through Basil, Dorian meets Lord Henry Wotton, and he soon is enthralled by the aristocrat's hedonistic worldview: that beauty and sensual fulfilment are the only things worth pursuing in life.

Newly understanding that his beauty will fade, Dorian expresses the desire to sell his soul, to ensure that the picture, rather than he, will age and fade. The wish is granted, and Dorian pursues a libertine life of varied and amoral experiences, while staying young and beautiful; all the while his portrait ages and records every sin.

None of my 'on holds' at the library are available yet, so I'm delving into my shelves for my next read.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is Oscar Wilde's only novel, and unsurprisingly considering the author and the subject, it caused a sensation when it was published. And that was after the editor removed 500 words for indecency.