Halloween Bingo 2017 - Vampires

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out.... Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

It seemed appropriate to follow werewolves with vampires. And there are plenty of books to choose from. From Dracula to Twilight, vampires have definitely caught the imagination of writers. And depending on the author, they have been portrayed as funny, scary, sexy, dangerous, and sadly even sparkly. I was very tempted to re-read something from the Dresden Files, or The Others, but I eventually decided to choose something completely new to me. I've never read Charlaine Harris and haven't seen a single episode of True Blood, so I had no idea what to expect.

And I was pleasantly surprised. OK, so the heroine is a bit of a Mary Sue, and there's a socking great big love triangle which apparently takes about 20 books to resolve, but it kept me entertained on my flight home from Salt Lake City.

Up next is 'terrifying women'.