First stab at my reading list

I've been bouncing a few ideas around in my head, perusing my shelves, poking around in my Kindle, and cribbing ideas off my fellow Bingo players.

Ghost: Thin Air, Michelle Paver - I thought her Dark Matter ghost story was fabulously scary in the old style - not much blood and gore, but plenty of chills. Hoping Thin Air is in the same mould.

Chilling Children: The Midwich Cuckoos, John Wyndham - I don't need much of an excuse to read Wyndham, and I think this is a perfect fit for this square. It could also count as 'terror in a small town', or 'aliens'.

Vampires: Dead Until Dark, Charlaine Harris - Well it sure as heck wasn't going to be Anne Rice or Laurell K Hamilton.

In the Dark Dark Woods: The Fourth Bear, Jasper Fforde - this is in the 'noir' style, but with Fforde's bonkers humour. And if you're wondering where the dark, dark woods come in, it's where the Three Bears live, obviously.

Haunted Houses: The Shining, Stephen King - I had this one lined up for last year's bingo, but didn't get around to reading it. It fits nicely into this category.

Darkest London: Rivers of London, Ben Aaronavitch - I've had my eye on this series for a while.

Witches: Witches Abroad, Terry Pratchett - who else? I read Wyrd Sisters last year, and it's always good to catch up with Granny and the gang.

Gothic: Burial, Charles Palliser - I think there's a number of squares where this could fit, but the cover looks suitably gothic, so that's where it's going.

Terrifying Women: We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson - after damn near crapping myself with fear while reading The Haunting of Hill House, I don't seem to have learned my lesson and I'm lining up another Jackson.

Terror in a Small Town: In Cold Blood, Truman Capote - A perfect fit

American Horror Story: The Stepford Wives, Ira Levin - I saw someone else had picked Rosemary's Baby as one of their reads, and I immediately thought of The Stepford Wives. It's got to be 40 years since I read it, but I remember being really really disturbed by it.

So there are my early choices, which will probably change, get swapped and generally kicked around quite a lot.