Finished it!

The Outcast - Laura Gill

Poor old Orestes. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place. Matricide is the biggest sin you can commit and condemns you to a lifetime of being pursued by the Furies until you go mad. But if you don't kill your father's murderer then you are doomed to be haunted by his shade forever. So what's a man to do?

Let's just say Clytemnestra won't be getting one of these little numbers. Sadly she's one of those characters who it's fairly impossible to make even slightly sympathetic. She's up there with Medea in the batshit crazy corner. Though what Agamemnon did was pretty unforgivable too, so I'm going to cut her a bit of slack.

I have to say I'm an absolute sucker for re-tellings of the Greek myths and legends ever since I read Roger Lancelyn Green's stuff as a child. And I would have been all over Rick Riordan's  books if they had been around umpty years ago.

• Roger Lancelyn Green's Children's Books
  • Tales of the Greek Heroes: Retold From the Ancient Authors
  • The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors
  • Mystery atMycenae: An Adventure Story of Ancient Greece
  • The Luck of Troy

Other retellings I've enjoyed include,

The Firebrand - Marion Zimmer Bradley (This was always one of my favourite books about Cassandra, but I can't bear to read Bradley's stuff anymore)

The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller (a different look at Achilles and Patrocalus)

Lavinia - Ursula K Le Guin (feminist take on Lavinia, wife of Aeneas)

The Penelopiad - Margaret Atwood (another feminist take, this time on Penelope, wife of Oddyseus)

The King Must Die - Mary Renault (I still maintain Theseus is a bit of an arse)