Life After Life - Kate Atkinson

As the man on the Planet Fitness ad says, "I lift things up, and put them down".

And that's what I've been like with my reading lately. I'll pick up a book, start it, and then get distracted and just can't get back into it. Even Hild has been discarded.

But then I spotted Life After Life on the library shelf. I've always liked Kate Atkinson. Her use of language of fabulous, and she is expert at drawing the reader into another time period. And I was intrigued by the blurb...

What if you could live again and again, until you got it right? On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born to an English banker and his wife. She dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in a variety of ways, while the young century marches on towards its second cataclysmic world war. Does Ursula's apparently infinite number of lives give her the power to save the world from its inevitable destiny? And if she can -- will she?