Happy Birthday William Shakespeare

Shakespeare: The World as Stage - Bill Bryson

I used to live on the outskirts of Stratford and it was always a fun day in town on April 23rd. Wish I had been able to be there today.

(Shakespeare's birthplace from when I visited last year)

(My precious leather-bound copy of the complete works which used to belong to my great-grandfather).

The first play I studied in detail was Twelfth Night when I was 14 years old. It was the perfect introduction to Shakespeare's works and led me to read and study more of his canon.

I was also lucky having a mum who was passionate about theatre, and she and I spent many happy hours watching some great and some not so great interpretations of his plays.

In 1997, my boyfriend (reader, I married him) and I moved to Stratford, and I was in heaven.  To be so close to the RSC and to see some of the giants of British theatre was just fantastic.

David Tennant in The Comedy of Errors, Alan Bates and Frances de la Tour in Antony and Cleopatra, Ian MacKellan as King Lear, Antony Sher as Iago, and Patrick Stewart as Prospero are just a few I can remember off the top of my head, but there were many more.

Happy memories and happy birthday.