#BookadayUK - Day 7

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë, Margaret Smith North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell Bleak House - Charles Dickens, Norman Page, J. Hillis Miller Pride and Prejudice - Ian Littlewood, Hugh  Thomson, Jane Austen Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

BOOKS ON THE SMALL SCREEN

Oh good Lord, where to start? I mean I'm English, so I grew up with the BBC and their fantastic adaptations of well-loved children's books, and the heavyweights of English literature.

The most recent production that had me captivated from start to finish was Wolf Hall. I thought it would be impossible to capture the brilliance of Hilary Mantel's words, but damn, this came close.

And here are a few more of my favourites.

I'm pretty certain the BBC has filmed just about every one of Dickens' novels, but the standout one for me is the 2004 adaptation of Bleak House. Gillian Anderson and Anna Maxwell Martin were amazing.

Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre is a long-time favourite and there have been a number of TV versions, but I'm picking the 1983 version with Zelah Clarke as Jane, and Timothy Dalton as Mr Rochester.

I love Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South, which is made even better with Richard Armitage in the lead role.

And then of course there is the BBC's Pride and Prejudice from 1995* starring Jennifer Ehle and a rather damp Colin Firth. Even I quite enjoyed this, and you all know I'm not Ms Austen's biggest fan.

* Thank you SusannahG for noticing I'd got the wrong date here. And you're right. The 1983 version was pretty good too.