Favourite Quote - Day 2

American Gods - Neil Gaiman Expecting Someone Taller - Tom Holt

FAVOURITE QUOTATIONS - DAY 2

Norse mythology has always been a fascination of mine (note to self: read Rick Riordan’s latest immediately) and I enjoy straightforward retellings, and also stories where the author plays around with the characters. And Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston as Thor and Loki are always easy on the eye.

So here are a couple of excerpts where Odin’s ravens, Huginn and Muninn, aka Thought and Memory, get to be center stage.

Expecting Someone Taller – Tom Holt

“Got all that?” Wotan murmured.
Thought, the elder and smaller of the two messenger ravens who are the God’s eyes and ears on earth, dipped his wings to show that he had, and Wotan walked slowly away.
“Like looking for a needle in a haystack” repeated Thought, sliding into a convenient thermal. His younger brother Memory, banked steeply and followed him.
“This is true,” replied Memory, “definitely.”
“You know the real trouble with this business?” said Memory, diving steeply after a large moth.
“What’s that then?”
“Bloody awful industrial relations, that what I mean. Take Wotan. Thinks he’s God almighty.”
“He is isn’t he?”
Memory hovered for a moment on a gust of air. “I never thought of that,” he said at last.
“Well you wouldn’t,” said Thought, “would you?”

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

I love Neil Gaiman, and American Gods is possibly my favourite book of his, with Neverwhere a very close second.

But it was this conversation between Shadow and one of Odin's Ravens that had me giggling like an idiot.

“Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are."
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.”