My reading goal for 2014 was to try and read the books that have been sitting on my shelves or on my Kindle for quite a long time. To stop myself from avoiding anything I didn't really fancy, I came up with the Candy Bowl and books were drawn out randomly.
And I think I managed to make a sizable dent in the list. Twenty-two of the 33 books I read this year were drawn out of the Candy Bowl.
1. The Stockholm Octavo, Karen Engelmann (1/5/14)
2. The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck (1/24/14)
3. The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance, Edmund de Waal (2/23/14)
4. Whose Body?, Dorothy L Sayers (3/9/14)
5. The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt (4/17/14)
6. Tortilla Flat, John Steinbeck (4/30/14)
7. The Slap, Christos Tsiolkas (5/4/14)
8. My Life as a Fake, Peter Carey (5/10/14)
9. The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, Jonas Jonasson (5/25/14)
10. Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, Mary Roach (6/2/14)
11. The Cuckoo's Calling, Robert Galbraith (6/8/14)
12. O Pioneers, Willa Cather (6/20/14)
13. Lady of Devices, Shelley Adina (6/25/14)
14. A Study in Silks, Emma Jane Holloway (7/3/14)
15. Cannery Row, John Steinbeck (7/8/14)
16. Sweet Thursday, John Steinbeck (7/14/14)
17. The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson (8/23/14)
18. Theft, Peter Carey (9/6/14)
19. Swan Song, Robert McCammon (9/21/14)
20. The Wayward Bus, John Steinbeck (10/8/14)
21. Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury (10/24/14)
22. East of Eden, John Steinbeck (12/30/14)
The plan was not to buy any more books until the bowl was empty but come on, who can resist buying buying books? Any book I bought was put on my reserve list and not added to the bowl, but I did have a couple of sneaky get-out clauses where books which came from the library were allowed to bypass the bowl. And then on vacation when I didn't have access to the Candy Bowl I was allowed to dip into my reserve books.
Longbourn, Jo Baker (2/15/14) - library book
The Game of Kings, Dorothy Dunnett (4/3/14) - library book
London Falling, Paul Cornell (5/20/14) - vacation read
Sinful Folk, Ned Hayes (5/21/14) - vacation read
The Sekhmet Bed, L M Ironside (5/23/14) - vacation read
Timebound, Rysa Walker (5/24/14) - vacation read
Skin Game, Jim Butcher (6/8/14) - library book
Dreams of Gods and Monsters, Laini Taylor (6/15/15) - library book
The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith (8/2/14) - library book
The King Must Die - Mary Renault (9/21/14) - vacation read
The Paying Guests - Sarah Waters (12/22/14) - library book
So for 2015 my reserve list has been added to the remainder of the Candy Bowl. Anything bought in 2015 goes onto a new reserve list, and library books are still exempt.
I just need need to think of a way to get Lamentation to the top of the list.